July 1, 2008

Domestic Me

We got some big, red, yummy tomatoes through someone at church and so me and my mom decided to bottle our own salsa. It came out pretty good! We made a hot kind and a milder one. Yum-o. The down side is that it took us 5 hours and we only made 19 jars. Next year we will do a double batch.
With it being hurricane season here we are really trying to get our food storage up to par. We have tons of huge buckets of rice, beans, wheat, etc. This week we got some really hard plastic 5 gallon water bottles and I ordered a camp stove and heat cells for that. We are getting there. We already have the tent, sleeping bags, 72-hour kits, diapers, powdered milk, canned food, 55 gallon water barrel, propane heater, lantern, wheat grinder, etc. Anything else we need?

2 comments:

Em said...

Oh my! You are doing so good on your food storage. I need to start stocking up. My mother-in-law is teaching my to can on Saturday...

The Mathews Family said...

Great job Allison! That has been our goal this year as well. We've really made a good dent in ours. It's such an comforting feeling to know when you're being obedient.

Um, sounds like you've got a wonderful start! Some extras that we added to ours were 3 extra propane tanks for our barbecue grill for a cooking source (Costco sells them empty for $20) and my parents got everyone their own generator for Christmas so we needed a couple of extra 5-gallon tanks of gas so that it can run if we ever need it to. Costco also sells generators. I'd love to hear about other ideas and deals you've come across.
-Jessica